Eating Healthy - No HFCS

We are making an effort, as many are, to eat as healthy as we can and this included reducing or eliminating our consumption of High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS). As I started looking over the things we had in our house I found it everywhere. It was in our 100% whole wheat bread ($3+ bread), yogurt, cereal, and of course condiments. I don't mind if its in junk food since we limit that anyway but I DON'T want it in what I would consider healthy food.

We also went out to Lancaster, Pennsylvania around this time and I was able to buy some fresh bread at the farmers market and I had an idea...I'm going to make my own bread. I have had a bread machine since we got married and I never use it. Why not start making my own bread. I already make my own jam and I love to cook.

I looked up some recipes, learned a little bit, and then modified the recipes to make some delicious and healthy breads. So far I have made a honey whole wheat, banana whole wheat, and a sourdough bread that all came out great. I tried to make a whole wheat sourdough and that one needs some more work. I have found that by adding gluten to the recipe it helps the bread to be lighter and not so dense, especially if its a whole wheat bread.

I feel so good about making fresh bread and feeding it to my family. For this delicious and healthy bread it costs just about $1 a loaf and that is a huge saving over the healthy bread options at the grocery store. I just smile when I make them french toast for breakfast and they gobble it up! I will be posting some of these bread recipes soon. I hope you give them a try. Let me know how they come out.
  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Twitter
  • RSS

8 Response to "Eating Healthy - No HFCS"

  1. Kim K. Says:
    August 26, 2010 at 11:11 AM

    Good for you, Allison! I started making my own bread, too, for similar reasons. I wanted to know exactly what my family is eating. I have a great recipe that makes four loaves and freezes really well. I make it every two or three weeks and it's cheaper than buying it in the store. I can send you the link if you're interested.

  2. Disney Diva Tips says:
    August 26, 2010 at 11:20 AM

    I usually use the bread machine so I just throw everything in (takes about 5-10 min) and then the machine does the rest. I make it twice a week as needed. I would take the link though and check it out.

  3. Anonymous Says:
    August 26, 2010 at 11:56 AM

    Dear Allison,
    I love your blog. I especially loved the sniff sniff one. Not sure if you know we celebrated Uncle Phil's 50th birthday on Tuesday. Gretchen was there for her last gathering with the family before taking off for college. Talk about sniff, sniff!!
    Love, Peace and Joy,
    Aunt Louise

  4. Sheri says:
    August 26, 2010 at 3:11 PM

    I'd love to know what kind of bread machine you have and the recipes! Not that I think it will be up their on my priority list in the next 3 months:), but certainly soon.... and I always thought that home made bread was so heavy so if your bread isn't like that I would totally like to try it! and if it saves money!!!

  5. Anonymous Says:
    August 26, 2010 at 8:10 PM

    Hi Allison,
    Homemade bread and jelly sounds great! Hope you guys are doing well :-)
    Janelle H.

  6. Beth Doda ~ disneymom2jhe says:
    August 26, 2010 at 8:37 PM

    I was given a bread machine a few years ago and rarely used it. Last winter, I wanted to make homemade pizza dough. Just by luck our bread machine has a great pizza recipe. Now we have pizza night once a week and the kids help with the dough and the toppings. I can even sneak in a few vegetables and the kids eat it up!

    I have a few bread recipes, but they are so delicious, my attempt to make homemade bread backfired since we could sit and eat an entire loaf of bread without even knowing it! :-) Anyways, now I love my bread machine and we use it at least once a week. If you want the pizza dough recipe, let me know ~ I'll post it.

  7. Disney Diva Tips says:
    August 27, 2010 at 12:04 AM

    Beth, please post the recipe. I would love to have it. I will link to it under my recipe header. Thanks so much for contributing

  8. Beth Doda ~ disneymom2jhe says:
    September 13, 2010 at 10:22 AM

    Sorry this has taken so long - computer virus, husband injured his foot and my son started kindergarten. It has been quite an emotional few weeks! Anyways, here is the pizza dough recipe:

    Pizza Dough
    Breadman ~ Healthy Bread Recipes & Menu Planner


    1 Pound Dough:
    ¾ c. warm water
    1 T. olive oil
    1½ t. salt
    2¼ c. flour
    1 t. sugar
    1 t. yeast

    1½ Pound Dough:
    1⅛ c. warm water
    1½ T. olive oil
    1½ t. salt
    3⅓ c. flour
    1½ t. sugar
    1½ t. yeast

    2 Pound Dough:
    1½ c. warm water
    2 T. olive oil
    2 t. salt
    4¼ c. flour
    2 t. sugar
    2 t. yeast

    Add all the ingredients to the bread pan in the order given.

    Set on “Dough-Only” feature if your bread machine is equipped with such a selection.

    When done, remove to floured board, if using immediately. Or, place in a bowl greased with olive oil, turn dough over to coat it, cover it with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to use.

    A 1-pound recipe makes on medium-thin 12” pizza.
    A 1½-pound recipe makes a 15” circle.
    A 2-pound recipe will make 2 12” pies.