Sniff Sniff

I never was a crier. Through high school and college I wasn't the weepy, emotional one. I didn't cry through sad movies, graduations, or even funerals. I just wasn't a crier. So I'm driving the car with the kids today and an ambulance comes up behind us and I pull over to the side to let them pass. My kids asked me about it and so I explained that someone is hurt and the ambulance is there to help. As I'm explaining this I am working very hard to hold back the tears.

Now I do realize that it is a sad thing to think about the ambulance and what is happening to a family during that time and crying about it may not be that unusual, but that is just the tip of the iceberg for me. I find that I am crying during the songs on the radio, commercials on TV, and movies that aren't even sad. Since I have had my children I have become much more emotional and I think I would classify myself as a crier. I can't talk about my daughter starting kindergarten without tearing up, I started to during her orientation.

I am not saying that I am a constant emotional wreck and need medication. I'm just saying that my hormone levels have permanently shifted since have 3 children and I am more emotional now than before having children. I also think being a mom brings out a new side you never new before. The love you have for your children is so strong and passionate that it can make you emotional to think about anything happening to them or what another family may be going through.

OK, before I start crying let me wrap this up. Anyone else find themselves more connected with their emotions since becoming a mom and having a better sense of identifying with the grief of others? Just wondering.
  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Twitter
  • RSS

6 Response to "Sniff Sniff"

  1. tawna6988 says:
    August 24, 2010 at 10:47 AM

    I think that having kids definitely does make you more hormonal. I have given birth to 3 kids as well and I can't even watch movies anymore that show children getting kidnapped, hurt etc.

    I think we over think everything after we have kids.

    Once you took a moment to really think why the ambulance was out it just made all those thoughts too close to home "what would happen if it was one of my kids" type of thought.

    That is my best guess as that is how I think anymore and I did not used to think this way.

    Maybe all those who try to out-run or get annoyed because they have to pull over for the ambulance should read your post!

  2. Disney Diva Tips says:
    August 24, 2010 at 11:25 AM

    I do get annoyed when people don't give the ambulance the right away. What if it was your family inside that ambulance? It could be life or death for someone. Show some respect for others and get out of the way!!

  3. Beth Doda ~ disneymom2jhe says:
    August 24, 2010 at 6:20 PM

    I think you just described a day in my life! I am also a mom of 3 (ages 5, 4 and 2.5) and I swear, I cry over everything since having kids! I sobbed at kindergarten registration and with only 9 days until my son's first day of kindergarten, it is shocking I just typed this without crying!

    Since being a mom I am much more emotional and I am definitely always thinking what if that were my child? It may sound cliche but I never thought I could love someone as much as I love my kids. They make me laugh everyday and I couldn't ask for more than that!

    Great post!

  4. Heather Jones says:
    August 24, 2010 at 7:13 PM

    Hi!

    I'm so there with ya on this one. I guess its just meant to be that moms are supposed to be this way or we probably would eat our young. ;) Love your blog design. Following you now.


    Mommy Only Has Two Hands!

  5. Kerry - All Things for Mom says:
    August 24, 2010 at 11:24 PM

    I'm right there with you Allison. I do it all the time. Actually when I hear an ambulance when someone in my family is out, my heart starts pounding. It just happened tonight. Our love for them runs so deep and when horrible things happen to others, we can't bear the thought of it happening to us. By the way, i'm excited about your new site.

  6. Sheri says:
    August 26, 2010 at 8:26 AM

    not surprising at all! I started crying yesterday in the car thinking about Sammy having to ride the bus next week........for Pre- K!