Potty Problem Solved

The journey of potty training my oldest has been a long and difficult journey of 2 1/2 years. I share this story in hopes of helping another child with the same problems. Please pass this along to anyone you know who has a child with similar issues as my daughter.

At the age of 2 1/2 I started to potty train my daughter. After 8 months of working on it I thought we finally got it. She was just over 3. She was using the potty during the day and night pretty well. She seemed to need to use the bathroom often but I figured it was normal. She did well for about 4 months until...

At the age of 3 1/2 I noticed her going to the bathroom VERY often. We were on vacation and so I would have to take her to the bathroom instead of her just going on her own like at home. I noticed that she had to use the bathroom 3 or 4 times while we were at the pool for only an hour or two. Then I started to get concerned.

I checked with the pediatrician and we checked for urinary tract infections and found nothing wrong. She continued to have frequency, started wetting her pants alot, and would wet a few times a night. Although we encouraged her to use the potty we put her back in pull-ups to just help with the laundry. I was pregnant with my 3rd child at this point and so we thought maybe it was her reaction to that.  We gave her some time to try to work it out until she turned 4.

By her 4th birthday I was starting to get concerned. I started keeping track of her frequency and noticed she was using the potty 12-14 times in an 8-10 hour period. Sometimes it was several times an hour. We were referred to urology at CHOP.

We worked with CHOP for a year until she was 5. We did everything from diet, reconditioning her bladder, and medication. We even worked with a pediatric urology psychologist who recommended a potty watch to help us. She would have times when it got a little better but never close to normal.

When she was 5 years old we went back and met with one of the head urologists to decide what to do next. She is 5, starting kindergarten in 6 months and still wetting up to 5 times an hour. Something had to change and fast. The last alternative was a surgical procedure to put botox in her bladder. Although this might sound crazy it is a procedure they use to help relax the muscles of the bladder. I wasn't comfortable with a surgical option at that time.

During this time I was at Bible study and we were discussing our reliance on God and what we try to do in our own strength. I was convicted to not make a decision reguarding the botox until I prayed about it. I prayed all the way home from the appointment. God knows my daughter's problem, loves her even more than I do,  and will help me to make a good decision if I would only trust him and talk to him about it.

There are a few times in my life when I was able to know very clearly what God was telling me and this is one of them. The thought going through my mind over and over while I was praying was to wait. I wanted to have a solution and in my own strength I would have followed the doctors advice and had the procedure but I clearly heard God telling me to wait. I prayed, "If that is what you want, Lord, then please confirm it through others so I know its what you want."

After I explained the Dr's visit to my husband and two friends each one said, "Wait". So, thats what we decided to do. The Dr's office called back twice over the next few weeks to schedule the procedure and I told them I was just waiting.

Soon after that a very dear friend, and I will always be grateful for this, suggested I switch my daughter from baths to showers. Within a week all her symptoms were gone and she started waking up dry for the first time in 2 years. She continued to have success with much less frequency and no wetting.

We had a little relapse when I changed laundry detergent. Now that I know she is just very sensitive I imediately recognized the soap issue. Now I wash her clothes, especially underwear, in Arm & Hammer Free and Clear. I don't use any fabric softener, dryer sheets, or other stain releasers in her wash. After so many years of frustration and difficulty (which is how I discovered the potette potty) we finally have our potty problem solved.

I hope you find this information helpful if you have a daughter or little girl in your life who seems to have trouble potty training.
  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Twitter
  • RSS

4 Response to "Potty Problem Solved"

  1. Amy says:
    August 27, 2010 at 11:10 PM

    Wow, what a potty training journey. Did you ever find out why taking a bath caused her problems. I read the part about sensitivity but not sure why that would cause problems. I have two daughters... my oldest daughter has had a difficult time with constipation and thank God we have been able to help her through diet. I am a firm believer in the power of God and counseling with others and this just confirms sometimes by waiting...more will be revealed. Thank you for commenting on my blog and following me. I will check back often. Are you on facebook? If, so check out my facebook pages...I am hoping for more 'likes' http://www.facebook.com/pages/blogmommetimecom/127209970658640?v=app_9953271133.

  2. Disney Diva Tips says:
    August 28, 2010 at 4:55 PM

    Amy, I am guessing that the soap in the water was the issue. She doesn't have trouble with pools, lakes, or oceans. I will check out your facebook page.

  3. Anonymous Says:
    August 31, 2010 at 1:27 PM

    Great story Allison. I applaud your desire to hear from God and then being able trust Him to wait. That must have been very hard when the world/science/medicine tells you to so something else entirely. Thanks for sharing.

  4. Sheri says:
    August 31, 2010 at 4:11 PM

    Very interesting! I am so glad its sorted out!

    I had a break down yesterday over the poop and the potty...different issues for sure, and I am sure the fact that I am having twins in 5 weeks or less doesn't help my emotions, but....... Anyways, I don't really know what I am writing, except that I hear you.....still praying that S can work things out.....