Corn Sugar???

I just read a very interesting article that I had to share. So I told you in my eating healthy post that I have tried to eliminate high fructose corn syrup from our food, especially our "healthy" food. In fact I sent a message to Yoplait to let them know that I don't buy their yogurt now because it contains HFCS. I was not happy with their response. They basically blew me off.

Now I just read an article that said that the Corn Refiners Association just applied to the Federal Government to change the name of HFCS to corn sugar on labels. Very sneaky in my opinion because we are looking for HFCS on the label and we may not see it but will be eating it anyway. For more information on this you can read the article.

What do you think about this? Do you have concerns about HFCS too? Do you think its the same as sugar or that the body processes the fructose differently then the sucrose and therefore is not healthy for the body? Do you think they should be allowed to change the name on labels? Do you agree this is sneaky or do you think its smart? Leave a comment and let me know what you think. I am very interested in other people opinions on this.
Share |
  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Twitter
  • RSS

3 Response to "Corn Sugar???"

  1. Anonymous Says:
    September 15, 2010 at 8:08 AM

    I try to keep HFC syrup to minimum in my home to, but also white sugar which is just as bad. If you want to try a healthier way to "sweeten" the foods you are making buy Sucanat. It's sugar in it's purest form, basically dehydrated sugar cane juice. It even has some nutritional properties to it (life vitamin B6 and some others) You can get it in bulk at Echo Hill in Dryville, PA (it's probably about 25 mins from you), or you can order it online. We made the switch and my kids don't even know the difference. I even baked chocolate chip cookies with it, completely eliminating both the brown & white sugar (although the choco chips have their poisonous properties...haha)...but anyway the cookies taste great! It's what my kids sweeten their hot tea and oatmeal with too. We are just loving it and feel so much better after switching. Study up on it and you will be blogging about it soon enough...it's the way God intended sugar, in my opinion.

  2. Kim says:
    September 15, 2010 at 9:32 AM

    Hey, Allison...great post! I just read about that, too, and it makes me even more determined to check the ingredients on my kids' food. The disregard on behalf of companies is appalling, especially considering that fructose has recently been shown to SPEED UP the growth of tumors: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-20012601-10391704.html.

  3. Anonymous Says:
    October 1, 2010 at 1:21 PM

    the valuable information u presented do help the research for my group, thanks.

    - Lucas